Monday 18 June 2012

A daily blog?

Should I be blogging everyday?  This is a question I have just been asking myself as I read the tweets that move down my timeline by other bloggers who seem to do so.  I don't know if they just have something to say all the time, or if they are just dedicated enough to do so.
When it comes to blogging, I am an emotional writer.  I write when I feel strongly enough about something that I need to put my feelings into words.  I have always been like that.  If something has upset me, left me emotionally charged or has got my brain thinking really hard I tend to turn to this blog and write it down.

That's why I think, I struggle so with getting my novel off the ground. I have started it - believe it I have - but it takes such motivation and dedication to go back to it daily - which I don't - and I wonder if I will ever actually get one done. 

There are days I think to myself that I should write something on here as I am aware I haven't blogged for a while, but if the need isn't there, or the topic isn't buzzing in my head, then I don't.

But should I?

Would it not teach me dedication?  Would I, in forcing myself to write something creative everyday, not teach myself tenacity and would I not develop the willpower (or even get into the habit) of writing a few thousand words a day and hence finally finishing my novel? I am not sure?

I do know that if I continue on at this pace, this novel will never get done so one way or another I need to pull my finger out. 

I have a few readers who diligently read each of my posts on my blog (for which I am so grateful) but would they get tired of reading something I felt I had to put up on the blog just for the sake of saying something on a daily basis?  Probably.  If it lacked imagination and creativity I am sure they would.

But is it something I need to train myself to do?  To milk my imagination? To force those creative juices into  flowing, rather than to just write when the moment is hot?

Hmmmm....something to ponder on I guess.

What are your thoughts?

Bx

8 comments:

LE Jamez said...

I reckon you should just blog when you want. There is no way I could keep up with blogging daily- don't have enough to say for one thing.

With so many blogs to keep unto date with its nice just being able to dip in and out without having to trawl the back log in case I've missed something.

Everyone is different and you should do what makes you happy, it really depends what the blog is for.

I'll keep coming back regardless :)

Veronica Stewart said...

Bernie personally I think the way you write ( from your heart) is the best way. I would imagine it to become stress heaped on stress to write something everyday . Rather quality from the heart that quantity for quantity's sake. Your novel will evolve with you, and that's great! There is no race , do it for the enjoyment. Don't worry about what others do, do what pleases you xxx love the blogs

Anonymous said...

Bernadette I agree with Veronica, you must do what pleases you most. Quality from the heart is good. That way I really know just what is going on in your heart and know how you are truly feeling. Love you lots. M xxxx

Morgan Prince said...

I agree with the others, blog when you feel you want to.

I have a timetable I do my best to stick to. I blog every three weeks. This might seem like its not often enough but it works for me. This way I'm not annoying my readers writing about random things that happen in my day.

I think if you want to dedicate time to writing every day it should be on your novel. Even if it is just 100 words a day this will get you into a routine. I do my best and sometimes I don't write for a week, other times I'll sit and write all day and get out about 3,000 words! Whatever works for you is what you should do. If you think you need to try harder then give yourself a timetable to stick to.

It's all about finding what works for you.

Morgan x

Bernadette Davies said...

Well its pretty unanimous. Write only when the need strikes….I completely agree and am pleased with that result.
Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments xxx

Daemonwulf said...

Bernie. I have to agree with most of the above comments. Write when you have something to write about. While there is much said about 'how to make one's blog a success' (references are as varied as the people making them...), it is most important to write about what it is that moves you. Whether that be book reviews, pieces of fiction, or your commute to work.

But, the saying goes, if you are committed to blogging, you should develop an editorial plan (be that daily, weekly, bi-weekly, etc.) and stick to it. This keeps your content fresh and your visitors looking forward to your posts, not to mention knowing when they can find new ones.

Either way, those who care (*like-mois grin*) will keep coming back whether you choose to post daily or just whenever you feel.

Bernadette Davies said...

Thank you, Mr Wulf for your kind comments. And indeed, you have given me some food for thought. Also, thank you for finally clicking that follow button...what took you so bloody long!!

I'm still waiting, patiently as always, to do your feature. Something like what you did in Pen of the Damned would be awesome?? (and would positively freak some of my readers out!) *evil laugh*

Bx

Jane Isaac said...

I love your writing and think the emotional element is what makes it so special. That doesn't come along everyday, in my experience. Writing should be fun, so do it when you feel the time is right and the best will come out. If it's good - it's worth waiting for. And yours certainly is:)