Saturday 24 December 2011

What I have learned

Many moons ago, (2001) I wrote a few points on lessons I thought were important in life.  I was just re-reading them this afternoon and thought that they all still applied, as much now as they did then.  So I thought I would re post it here.

Perhaps you have some you could add to them? If so, comment and let me know

What I have learnt 


- I've learnt the people will surprise you and sometimes shock you. Those you trusted and respected may quite easily be the ones to stab you in your back, and those you considered strangers, will often turn out to be your rock.

- I've learnt that patience is truly a virtue. Sometimes, no matter how badly you want something you have to resign yourself to wait. All the best things in life come to those that wait, and that is no cliche.


- I've learnt that there are things in life that are truly petty, and ought to be put away or thrown out as petty. When in life, there are so many important issues to deal with, anytime arguing over the petty, is precious time wasted.


- I have learnt not to judge people. Neither by their actions nor their words. The only one who's happiness I have any say over is my own. And by not judging others, I will not lend an ear to those that gossip about me. Only I can make my own decisions and no one else can be held responsible for them.


- I've learnt that my mother is not only my mother but also my best friend. I've learnt that even though she may not always agree with that which I do or say, she will always stand behind me and be there for me. I only hope that one day my children will see that same person in me.


- I've learnt that nothing just falls into your lap. If there are things in your life that you want, you need to fight and/or work for it. Those of us who have dreams should realise that as long as we are only dreaming and not acting, they will always remain only dreams.


- I've learnt that life is not easy and that everything depends on your outlook to things. The road of life is filled with holes and pitfalls and if I should stay down once I've fallen into one, life will only trample me as it passes me by. One needs to get straight up, dust one's self off and carry on, keeping eyes steadfastly focused ahead.


- I've learnt that nobody lives forever and that each and everyone of us will ultimately die. Saying this we are reminded that we only have one life. What decisions we make and how we choose to live our lives will all result in either our happiness or unhappiness.


- I've learnt that its useless holding onto the past. Memories, trinkets or souvenirs, will only hold us back and make it that much harder to move on. Every waking day should be embraced as a new start.


- I've learnt not to be afraid of change. Some of the biggest decisions in our lives involve huge, life altering decisions. Making these changes, no matter how scary sometimes, may be the best move you ever made.


- In saying that, I've also learnt that nothing in this life is guaranteed. That most times we live in uncertainty of what the outcome of our choices may be. But always remember, spending the rest of your life wondering "what if i had..." is no better and perhaps even worse than picking up and starting over. And by starting over and learning from your mistakes, you gain valuable life experience.


- I've learnt to smile at myself, to recognise that nobody is perfect and without fault, least of all me. To realise that I do make mistakes, will make many more, but to recognise them and to deal with them.


- Lastly, I've learnt that no matter how old I get, I will never stop learning the valuable lessons that life has to give me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, very professional high level blog! thank you for sharing. Because of good writing, and I learned a lot, and I am glad to see such a beautiful thing. Sorry for my bad English. ?

Jane Isaac said...

Very intuitive,Bernadette. So much we can all relate to. Have you heard the Baz Luhrmann song, Suncreen? It's lyrics are my mantra. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

Bernadette Davies said...

Jane, That song is one of my all time favourites, I practically know the song word for word :) Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog x

Bernadette Davies said...

Thank you very much Anonymous, please come back again :)

Rod Tyson said...

Life is a journey and we are all learning. I wish I could encapsulate my experiences in such a compelling way..:)

Lynn tulloch said...

Sunscreen is a superb song :) funny thing is now instead of giving advice I try to listen & support people's decision. All based on that song. I've learned that if you want a friend, buy a dog. They don't judge or tell your secrets!

Brilliant blog Bernadette :) x